Friday, December 16, 2005

Play Me Some Extensive Vamping

I really like recommendation sites. "If you like that, maybe you'll like this." I was listening to the Al Franken show, and some guy from Pandora.com came on to plug their service, which essentially involves pushing music to you based on songs you tell them you like. You can refine things by adding more songs. I started out with "What Difference Does It Make?" by The Smiths, and "No One Knows" by Queens of the Stone Age, and it popped up a song that I rather enjoyed: "Fault" by a band I've never heard of called Taproot.

Pandora is rooted in something called the Music Genome Project, which tries to classify songs according to various attributes. For example, the service played "Fault" because it thinks I like "hard rock roots, minor tonality and extensive vamping". Which is probably correct.

Now, Pandora isn't psychic, so it comes up with songs that I don't like, too. I can tell it to banish an offending song from my presence, and try not to play similar songs in the future.

It's free, supported by ads (iTunes ads for the most part). If you don't like ads, you can subscribe for $12 per quarter or $36 per year.

Give it a shot!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home